We’ve detected that you are using an outdated browser.

Please use a new browser like Chrome, Firefox, Safari or Microsoft Edge to improve your experience.

We’ve detected that you are using an outdated browser.

Find Farmland

Finding affordable land for purchase or long-term lease is often cited by beginning and expanding farmers and ranchers as their most significant challenge. We compiled resources to inform decisions about owning or leasing farm and ranch land, descriptions of programs that help connect farmers with land, and information about how to work with private conservation organizations and public agencies. 


Explore Options

If you are looking to start or expand a farm or ranch operation, you can consider a range of options: short- and long-term leases, cooperative ownership or partnerships, ground leases, and leasing-to-own agreements are alternatives to buying land outright.

Lease Land

Thirty-eight percent of land being farmed in the U.S. is leased. Young farmers–those who are 34  and younger–lease 64 percent of the land they farm. For beginning farmers and those looking to expand their operation leasing land offers an affordable option and provides flexibility.


The resources below provide information about how to find land to lease and how to negotiate a lease agreement.

Purchase Land

Nationwide, farmers own more than 625 million acres of farm and ranch land. Ninety percent of this land is farmed by the owners themselves, while the rest is leased to other farmers. Owning farmland provides a secure tenure option, allows you to own the improvements you make, and can serve as collateral to back a loan.

Find Farmland

Farm Link Programs

Farm link programs cultivate the next generation of agricultural producers by linking beginning farmers and ranchers with retiring ones and land seekers with landowners. Programs may be administered by state agencies or nonprofit organizations.

Farm Link Programs

Farm Incubator Programs

The National Incubator Farm Training Initiative (NIFTI) provides resources and technical assistance to organizations providing land-based farmer training programs and maintains a list of farm incubator projects.

NIFTI National Farm Incubator Map

Work with Farmland Protection Partners

Public entities (e.g. state and local governments and conservation districts) administer farmland protection programs to keep land available for agriculture. These programs are often called purchase of agricultural conservation easement (PACE) programs. In addition, some private land trusts protect agricultural land by acquiring land or agricultural conservation easements (ACEs).


Here are some ways farmland protection partners can help you gain access to land:


  • Land protected by PACE programs and land trusts using ACEs tends to be less expensive than
    comparable unprotected land, which can help reduce the purchase price.
  • PACE programs and land trusts may own farmland and lease or sell it to farmers. Staff may also
    track protected farmland for sale or lease. 
  • Some PACE programs and land trusts allow beginning farmers to sell an ACE on a farm or ranch
    under contract and then use the proceeds toward the purchase price. 


Learn about protecting farmland and search our Farmland Protection Directory to find a farmland protection partner that works in your area.

Work with Farmland Investors

A few mission-driven land trusts and foundations that invest in farmland can help you secure access to land.  

Read More

State Departments of Agriculture

State departments of agriculture sometimes provide classifieds online or in their newsletters that include real estate listings. In addition, some states operate state-owned farmland leasing and licensing programs which make publicly-owned agricultural land available to farmers. 

National Association of State Department of Agriculture's Directory

United States Department of Agriculture

The USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA) Transition Incentives Program (TIP) encourages landowners with expiring Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) contracts to sell or lease their land to beginning or socially disadvantaged farmers.


The USDA Rural Development (RD) and USDA FSA advertises its inventory property for sale to socially disadvantaged applicants as well as beginning farmers and ranchers before it is available to the general public. 

Policies and Programs

Resources highlighting federal and state policies and programs that help improve access to land for farmers and ranchers.

More Resources

More information about finding farm and ranch land is available from the websites below, as well as a wealth of information about agricultural production and marketing assistance.

  • Farmland Access Legal Toolkit, developed by the Center for Agriculture and Food Systems at Vermont Law School, offers information on legal arrangements, access tools, and a guide on developing a lease.
  • ATTRA, a sustainable agriculture assistance program managed by the National Center for Appropriate Technology
  • Farm Answers, a USDA-NIFA beginning farmer and rancher clearinghouse, provides resources to help farmers get started, as well as tools to help more seasoned producers succeed.
  • New Farmers, information from USDA about USDA programs for beginning farmers and ranchers
Access to Capital
Find out about state and federal loan programs and grant opportunities for beginning farmers.

Visit American Farmland Trust

Get engaged and receive the information you need right in your inbox.